Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) offenses decreased by nearly 5% last year in Boca Raton. Crime has decreased four times in the last five years, -18% in 2010, -4.6% in 2009 and -5.7% in 2008. The numbers for the major categories are included below.
Since 1990, the crime rate in the City of Boca Raton has decreased by almost 40%. In 2012, approximately 94% of our crime was property related. Violent crime made up the remaining 6% of the reported totals. The clearance rate (percentage of cases solved) was 29.2%.
During the first half of 2012, the City of Boca Raton experienced a sharp increase in residential burglaries. We responded to this trend by developing “Operation Neighborhood Watch.” Crime analysis briefings were increased (both in frequency and intensity), tactical teams in unmarked vehicles were deployed to hot spots and we made a concerted effort to raise public awareness.
Dozens of arrests were made for Burglary, Loitering & Prowling and other charges. Of those arrested, almost all were from communities to the south of us. Most of the suspects were driving rental cars with dark tint applied to the outside of the windows so they couldn’t be seen. Operation Neighborhood Watch efforts resulted in fewer burglaries for the latter part of 2012.
Thefts and fraud are the most significant areas of concern recently. Criminals are preying on victims who do not keep track of their personal items, to include cell phones, tablets, laptops, wallets and purses. Personal electronic devices are everywhere and valuable to thieves.
Tax fraud and identity theft have also become significant issues. It is important for you to take simple steps to protect your identity, such as removing personal information from your vehicle and shredding your documents. It is also helpful for you to file your tax return as soon as practical.
Crime remains low because our residents truly care about the quality of life in our city. As we carry out our mission “to protect and serve,” we will continue a strong community policing working philosophy. Thank you for your support. Please stay safe.